I know that you guys do a vote on COTM, but I personally enjoyed the 2017 June competition. I was new to the forums then but it helped me get to know many other crew leaders and made me feel a bit more social than I am now! Added a poll so hopefully people will vote and it's easier to see who agrees and disagrees with me but here are my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages:
- People get to talk about their crew and have to try to actually get the staff interested in their crew.
- If someone gets picked for COTM everyone can see what each other said and they can try to improve their crew based on what others did.
- When you when or even become runner-up, you feel accomplished
- You can see how good of a sport everyone in the forums is after the competition is over when they say congratulations or just screw around with you
- It's time consuming and staff have to go through every single comment and figure out which ones they prefer
- Spamming is a possibility
- You have to watch the News thread every day if you want to be on the first page
- People can get salty in the end
- Having to actually post in the comments of the competition thread can improve social interactions within the competition, even help people make friends.
- No extra-labor required (for thread-maker)
- Staff have no need to go through comments, just crews.
- It's possible for any crew to become COTM, even the smaller ones.
- Can be finished faster than a competition.
- People could assume staff pick favorites.
- People get salty that "they don't know how to win."
- Nobody can really improve their recruitment tactics without it being too late.
- Less social interaction (in my opinion)